Monday, June 19, 2017

the Father's Day round-up

When you're too stupid to take a fresh picture of a father and his kids on father's day, you have to use a repeat from last week.
This post will be quick, as I've got Juniper home this morning -- she's missing a much anticipated field trip to Citadel Hill as she woke up feeling... I don't know.... kind of crappy I guess.  My hope is that she just partied too hard this past weekend, and not that this is the beginning of some terrible plague.  I live in perpetual fear of such things.

Now used to me taking pictures all the time, the kids arranged themselves "artistically" for this shot
"Partying?" you ask?  Yes indeed - on Saturday, we headed off for a sleepover adventure in Lunenburg.  The kids got to play, Clark and Will got to do some fun boys hang-out stuff, and (on top of holding down the fort), Zsofi and I got to... wait for it... learn how to play Mah Jong! 

Safety first
The whole thing was a hoot.  We arrived Saturday, and the dads took the kids out for supper while Zsofi, two of her Lunenburg friends, and I got to have a lovely potluck with Will's sister Sara, and three of her Mah Jong buddies.  After a delicious meal, out came the game, and the teaching began.  It was amazing!  Sara and friends have been having monthly games of Mah Jong for over a decade, and I think now us newbies have been inspired to do the same, if we can find a nice Mah Jong set somewhere.
Meanwhile, Clark and Will brought the kids back, put them to bed, and then turned around and spent the rest of the evening in a local pub.  Sounds about right.

Oh, Linden.
The next day, after a father's day brunch, Clark and Will took off for some Mahone Bay biking trails, while Zsofi and I rounded up the kids for a park day.  The dads, apparently, had a blast:


Panoramic shot mid-ride, with Will bringing up the rear

Zsofi and I, however, had a lot of attitude management to do, as none of my family had slept particularly well.  I was short tempered, Juniper was grumpy, and Linden entered "not-enough-sleep-Linden-mode", which is kind of the worst thing ever.  But... we prevailed.  And really, the most important thing on Father's Day is that the fathers got to do their thing.  So - success!  I hope.  We'll see how this "Juniper sickness" thing plays out.  If all goes well, we'll mostly just spend the day reading Harry Potter and lounging, and everyone will be hunky dory tomorrow.  Fingers crossed!

Oh - and Juniper wanted me to mention that when we got home on Sunday, the kids gave Clark cards, and created an "appetizer plate", with sausage, cheese, crackers and cucumbers (which Linden cut himself).  She apologizes that no one thought to take a picture of this beautiful creation, as it is now all eaten.  And that's a wrap!  See you next week!





No comments: