Friday, October 30, 2009

Growing, growing...


Wow! If our analytics program works at all, it would seem as though a whole whack of people have been looking at the blog recently! Therefore, I will fulfill my end of the bargain, and keep putting new posts up of all the stuff I'd been meaning to blog about over the last month. And what better way to do it than today, the 30th of October - Juniper's 3 month birthday. Happy birthday, Juniper! It's also the day before Hallowe'en, which means we have Juniper in one of a few great Hallowe'en-y outfits that people have given her. She is currently sporting a top from Faye (which, if you can't read it, says "This IS my costume"), and some candy corn pants from Carroll. Stylish, as always!


I know the old adage about how quickly babies grow, yadda yadda, but honestly, I wouldn't believe it if i didn't see it with my own eyes. Juniper had her first doctor's appointment last week (she had previously been going to midwives), and it was the first time in over a month that she had been weighed and measured. She came in the 95th percentile for both weight and height, at 14 lbs, 24.5 inches. I think Clark and I must be getting progressively stronger as Juniper gets progressively heavier.

When she came back from Fredericton (which was almost a month ago, now) we realized that in the week we had been gone, Juniper had literally outgrown her bassinet. Check out the picture of her in the bassinet the day she came home, and then the day we moved her out of it (almost a month ago now).



So what this meant was that she was now ready for the crib - whether I was ready to have her in there or not! The crib had been set up in her own bedroom, but after hemming and hawing, I realized that I was not ready to sleep in a different room from her. Not yet, anyway. So after a day of moving things around and disassembling and reassembling her crib, we finally got everything set up so that she now sleeps in her crib in our bedroom. I hadn't decorated, of course, (all the decorations are in her nursery), so we bought some glow-in-the-dark planets and stars and put them over her crib. While she looked huge in her too-small bassinet, she now looks just teeny-tiny in her crib:


She's still an absolute angel to put to bed - we can lay her down fully awake, and she'll suck herself to sleep without complaint. She's still waking up on average 3 times a night, but it's a very small ordeal - wake up, feed her, and lay her back down. None of the diaper changing and rocking back to sleep that used to happen. At around 6am, she usually decides she's had enough of her crib, but is happy to sleep for awhile longer between her mom and dad. I understand how lucky we are with the whole sleep thing, and I also acknowledge how quickly things can change. But for now, it's wonderful!



Juniper is also developing such a strong personality! She has always been very alert for an infant, but now she just takes everything in all the time that she's awake. She's been figuring out her hands, and will grab at things and hold onto them, and apparently (though I wasn't here to see it), she rolled from her tummy onto her back the other day!! And boy, does she enjoy chatting. She chats with her friends (the dangling toys that hang from her playmat and her bud, Mr. Lion), and most of all she chats with me and Clark (and whomever else is visiting when she's in a chatty mood). I don't even mean that she makes cooing noises - I think she's actually chatting. Here's a video I took the other day.



OK, that's enough for now, but I'll post again in the next couple of days. I'm on a roll!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

i feel the same way too, juniper.

Unknown said...

I also agree with you Juniper, definitely.

You can tell she knows her bassinet is too small in that picture her eyes say "this is just not right".

DontMindLosing said...

Oh what a sweetie! She's not a newborn anymore, you can see how her newborn froggy legs have stretched out in the second bassinet photo. Too cute! Post about the sewing next, I want to see your projects! exo

Unknown said...

It is great to see that my grandaughter has such attentive parents. Keep on enjoying her. She is precious. Keep the blog and photos coming. They ARE appreciated. Bill

Unknown said...

brad is right... the look on her face in the bassinet is "i'll bet you find this funny, jerk... take the picture"