Saturday, November 2, 2013

Hallowe'en

Carving pumpkins

I posted a couple of costume shots for my Friday moment, but I thought I might as well do a proper Hallowe'en post while the event was still fresh.  Plus, I'm currently on "Juniper duty", which means sitting here waiting for her to wake up.  She's been really quite ill since sometime in the middle of Hallowe'en night - it seems like it is perhaps a sinus infection of some sort, but it has really done a number on her.  She only sleeps for short periods of time, and then wakes up completely disoriented and terrified and feverish if no one is right there. So here I am, playing some blog catch-up.


"Scary" and "Silly". Co-designed by Juniper and Clark

Anyway, I digress. Hallowe'en.  The day itself was actually quite a hoot.  There was a party at Juniper's preschool, which Linden and I had been planning to attend, but Linden had thrown up the afternoon before, so we laid low for the day at home. (Yes, it has been sick, sick, sick time around here). Juniper, however, had a blast, and came home with a whole bag-full of Juniper-created Hallowe'en inspired art to decorate the house.

Insta-hallowe'en!
"Witch on Broomstick" close-up.  This one was my favourite.
One of two hanging spiders.  I have no doubt they felt instantly at home in our humble abode, and likely made a number of good friends right away.

"BOO!"  Juniper demonstrates her haunted house.
After naps and a quick bite to eat, our next-door neighbour Walden (and his mom Maria) came over for some group trick-or-treating.  Considering we are two of the three houses with kids on our block, there weren't that many places to go, but the 5 or 6 houses we did hit were enough to be completely and utterly enthralling for all three kids. It made me remember how exciting Hallowe'en had been back in the day!

Blurry action shot.

Afterwards, the kids dumped their loot, chose a couple of treats, and left the rest for the Hallowe'en Fairy to turn into art supplies over night. I must say, the Hallowe'en Fairy outdid herself, and there are some pretty awesome paints and canvasses waiting for when Juniper kicks this illness.  In the meantime, the Hallowe'en Fairy's trusty sidekick managed to make short work of the candy that was left behind, so all is well that ends well.


Linden quickly snatched a lollipop. He'd never seen so much candy in his little life.

And finally, in case you missed it on Facebook, here is a little video of the Hallowe'en excitement. As you can tell, they were both completely pumped. I suppose the silver lining of all this sickness is that both kids were able to enjoy one fun day feeling good!

Also, I didn't mention it in the post with the costumes, but Linden's Wizard duds are now in their third year of use (I made them for Juniper when she was two).  Juniper's flower is new this year - I made the petals and the leaves out of felt.  Then I realised that she needed a proper stem, so I whipped up that green dress.  I'm actually pretty pleased with how it turned out... it could have easily been a disaster, as I just loosely patterned it after something that she had in her closet. It's on the biggish side, which means it will be very good for this winter - I can easily put nice warm sweaters and leggings underneath.  And there you have it!  Hope you all had an equally magical all hallows eve!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope everyone is feeling better today. The Switch Witch is an awesome addition to Hallowe'en lore. I'm afraid, though, if I were her I'd have the bad stuff hoarded for my own use.

Hallowe'en day video is a real keeper! Thanks for taking the time - again to blog.
Love,
Suz