Monday, July 28, 2014

Blooms

Big rake, little helper
This week was, by and large, uneventful. We are gearing up, however, for some exciting times - in a few days, Juniper turns the big oh-five.  That means some party planning (eek!  as it so happens, I have never thrown a birthday party for Juniper that wasn't in Fredericton), likely a dinner at the dreaded Friendly's (as her actual birthday dinner will be her choice), and some crafting (a birthday crown, some big bubble wands for the party, and also likely a couple of sewn gifts). Phew!

I'm sure there will be loads to blog about next week, so for now I'll just leave you with some pictures, and maybe a little reenactment from the other day.

Impromptu Monday afternoon swim: bathing suits optional (Clark did have trunk-style undies-on, for those concerned)
Helping to make some spinach pasta
 Currently in our backyard...
Foraging for wild raspberries
And a close-up on the succulent fruit
Sadie's Sun Golds, almost ready to ripen
A random but cheerful crop of yellow
These will grow even more vibrantly blue and purple....
... and pink as the season wears on
Front yard lilies
A close-up of the beautiful bloom, but also the heavily pollinated bee inside
Juniper decided this was too teeny tiny for birds, and that it should therefore be a second fairy house
On the inside...
Juniper becomes a self-taught aesthetician, as her negligent parents were too busy to paint her nails for her
A formidable pile of afternoon reading
 And finally, I'll leave you with a little scene with Juniper from the other day:

Scene: I propose an afternoon dance party while we wait for Linden to get up from his nap. Juniper readily agrees, but then I can only find one of my stupid shoes (this was going to be a serious dance party, requiring sporty footwear).  I get more than slightly annoyed at the disappearance of the shoe.

Juniper: Just wear a different pair of shoes.
Tara: No! I want THIS pair of shoes. It makes absolutely no sense that there is only one of them. The other one should be RIGHT HERE.
Juniper:  Well, mom - I guess the little people took it.
Tara: The little people, eh?
Juniper: Yeah - the tricksters.  Mary says they're always hiding things and being mischievous.
Tara:  I don't think so.  I think the only "little people" involved here are you and Linden.  You guys are always taking my things and putting them places. It is REALLY annoying.
Juniper: Well, mom - first of all, if it was one of us, it was Linden, and not me.  But also, here's the thing.  You are always putting your things in various places, and then you can't find them, and then - pop! - you'll just find it again sometime later.
Tara: (Stunned into silence at Juniper's adept observational prowess and the unavoidable truth of this statement). Well, fine then. I guess I'll wear a different pair of shoes.
Juniper: Yes, that's a great idea.

Epilogue: When Clark got home, he found the other shoe, only a few feet away from the first one, in a spot where I had looked maybe a dozen times.  Clearly it was the little people after all.
*******

And - speaking of birthdays, a big shout out to our dear friend Erin, who is celebrating her birthday this very day!  Have a great week, everyone!

No comments: