Monday, July 14, 2014

Visitors

Linden kept demanding hugs at dinner. 
My parents are here for a visit!  They arrived early Sunday morning, and both kids were beyond excited. Sunday started out at the beach, and then involved a VERY long nap for Linden. 

All geared up...
... and headed for the water!
Juniper, on the other hand, got to make some ridiculously sugary treats in the kitchen with Mary in the afternoon, followed by some TV watching at the hotel room with Bob. Clearly, it is important to cram in as many sinful delights as possible when some obliging grandparents are visiting. I'm not sure what we'll get up today and tomorrow, but no doubt there will be at least a mini update next week.

Though nothing can top the excitement of the end of the week, there were some fun adventures during the week as well.  For instance, the "Carousel of Lights" has parked itself at Mullen Hall school for the time being, which is a pretty huge draw:

Holding hands and talking excitedly as they approach
Totally old-school ride
Mr. Stoic
All smiles!
 Juniper loves the carousel, and has now ridden it twice.  Linden, on the other hand, despite being Mr. Macho about the whole thing, secretly told Clark as he went to bed that night that the carousel had "gone too fast", and that he didn't want to ride it again the next day. Pretty sweet coming from a bonafide dare devil.

Other than that, it has been just play, as usual.  I have to say, I've really started loving the Wednesday mornings that I get with just Juniper since the summer schedule began.  It is one less work day for me, but it is a pretty rare opportunity to have some quality girl time.  We always get up to some fun adventures - biking all over, going to the Clay studio, out for lunch, to fairs and libraries and whatever seems the most fun at the moment.  For instance:

Learning to trim her piece
A delicious lunch at the Pickle Jar
Juniper's completed fairy house, nestled in beneath the tomato plant
 And, just for fun: here are a few pics from what I have dubbed "poor footwear choice" day.  Linden, in the mud in his very favourite "fancy shoes" (Juniper's wedding shoes from last summer), and Juniper, for whatever reason, in one Bogg and one dress-up shoe. It's a good thing I spent all that money on good, practical summer sandals.

Tractors, mud, and fancy white shoes
Why choose one type of inappropriate footwear, when you can choose two?
On the move

Finally, I thought I'd end with some recent Linden quotes:

(after surreptitiously pooping on the potty, wiping his own bum, and then washing his hands, all while he was actually supposed to be napping):
 "Oh, hi mom.  I pooped!  And I wiped my own bum.  I got poop on my fingers, but I washed them off."  (looking into my eyes, and with a very serious tone): "WE DON'T EAT POOP.  Only food."

(To my mom, at supper):
"Mary, could you take off your glasses, please?  I want to see your nice brown eyes."

(Talking with Clark, directly after waking up from a nap):
Linden: "Where are mom and Juniper?"
Clark: "At the pottery studio"
Linden: "No they're not.  They are RIDING A WHALE".

Have a great week!









1 comment:

Grandad Bill said...

I'm jealous for some of those grandson hugs.