Monday, June 8, 2015

Regression

I ignored Linden's complaints about his tired legs.  Juniper, however, took action.
We are now fully into week two of Clark's extended trip out west.  Shouldering the responsibilities of kids and home as a solo act is always difficult, but this particular trip has felt almost impossible to manage.  I realized at some point that this could be, in large part, because it feels as though we are in the middle of some stress/sickness/exhaustion-induced regression of some sort.  Let me explain.

In the throes of what turned out to be ear infection #2
I am reminded often from my two not-so-little kids that I no longer have any babies.  This is very true.  I am now far enough away from those early years, in fact, that I forget sometimes the struggles inherent in the rapid-fire developmental changes - the most dreaded of which is the regression.  Just when you think you've hit a rhythm; just when you think you've turned a corner or accomplished an important milestone or rite of passage, everything reverts back to whatever struggle you had all been dealing with. Unsurprisingly, the regressions I remember with most clarity are those involving sleep.

Trying to be a goof at the medical clinic, on an Advil-induced temporary high
 Since Clark's departure, we have all been dealing with massive sleep regression.  In the early days, it was  (stress-induced?) bad dreams.  Juniper would be in my room at midnight. Then Linden at 2am.  Then Juniper at 3 am.  Then Linden would be in at 5am, and not go back to sleep.  Though it took a few days, Juniper stopped this nonsense, but Linden got worse - to the point where he and I both started to become barely functional throughout the day.  I realized when he started complaining about his head and his ear that this was actually a sickness - turns out only shortly after finishing out his 10-day course of antibiotics, Linden had developed ear infection #2.

One bad-ass Snow White
This sleep regression, however, snow-balled into some seriously un-managable behaviour issues.  I can't even really call them regressions, because they are things I had never fully encountered  before - at least not to this extreme. It was like my mostly sweet little boy had turned into this crazy, mean monster of a child - specifically ignoring everything I said, hitting and kicking and screaming in my face, bolting in stores, and honest-to-goodness looking for ways to be bad.  He also started obsessively sticking his hands into places he shouldn't and putting things in his mouth - something I would call a serious regression if he had ever been prone to such behaviours.  I can't imagine that I would have known how to to manage this at the best of times, but with a week of almost no sleep?  I didn't recognize myself, either.  I was at a complete loss for how to even make it through the day.

Fastidiously drawing skulls at the Museum of Nature
After a full weekend of antibiotics, and some much-needed hang-outs with friends, however, there is light at the end of the tunnel.  Though my body woke me up periodically throughout the night last night (due no doubt to a week of conditioning), it would appear as though both kids actually slept soundly.  Also, after shepherding everyone off to school, I had the day to myself, which was a very necessary mental break.  I went to the gym, did chores, and just... relaxed.  Iw ill tell you, however, that Clark can't come home soon enough.  And next time he goes away for an extended amount of time, we need to have a better support network in place, because I feel like I almost hit breaking point.

Even though we now have a full set of deck chairs, Juniper and Linden still like to share
Best expression ever.
Anyway, despite all of that, we had a pretty jam-packed weekend.  We said good-bye to Olivia, took a trip to the Nature Museum, Juniper went on an extremely fun play-date with Zack (which started out with some family yoga taught by Erin!), and we spent an afternoon at the park with Simon.  Now, these were all events that would have been ever-so-much more enjoyable under optimal conditions, but despite all the unpleasantness, I think these things kept us going.  Here are some pics. Have a great week!
Right before taking Olivia to the airport

Some huge friends at the Nature Museum!
Picnic with Simon
Bocce Ball!
Juniper is surprisingly good at hitting the ball
Seaweed monster
It's not the ocean, but the closest we've found so far!

3 comments:

Kata said...

I really hope Linden's second ear infection is the last- and that a lot more sleep is coming your way. That is exhausting!

Unknown said...

After reading this blog - I'm going back to bed.

I hope sustained good health finds you and the little ones - you've already had a lifetime's worth of sickness, Tara.

Hollis Engley said...

Hang in there, Tara.