Monday, September 21, 2015

back from Ireland

Beatnik in black, perusing the New Yorker.  Julie takes a rest on the ottoman.
We survived!  Despite that fact that Clark whooshed off to lovely Ireland, leaving me to deal with everything right before the kids started their first full week of school, we have emerged on the other side, mostly unscathed.  And apart from the threats of a cold on Linden's part (which I effectively nipped in the bud with all my various well-honed techniques, thank-you very much!), we also remained mostly healthy.  This was in no small part because we had the help of my sister Faye, and the blessing of glorious warm fall weather at its finest.

Every day after school, the kids have been hard at work developing their "worm academy"
Early recruits
I have to admit, however, that even with help, I still find these long stretches of solo parenting extremely difficult.  I know it is somewhat ridiculous -- loads of people do this on their own ALL the time.  Perhaps it is in part my personality. I am not an anxious person by nature, but I get completely flummoxed by the knowledge that I am responsible for all things kid-related, 24 hours a day.  All decisions are mine.  All night-time wake-ups are mine to deal with.  And, the real kicker - all sickness is mine to take care of. Even if there is no particular threat, the possibility can leave me sleepless.  It is so weird and annoying and debilitating, but it is, I suppose, what it is.  I'll probably get over this in the next 20 years or so.


Reunion dinner at Kanata Noodle House!
The first-full-week week update is decidedly mixed.  Juniper is still thrilled about first grade, and has been incredibly upbeat and bubbly, even after long days.  She has, however, gotten moved TWICE now for talking too much in class.  I am simultaneously annoyed and elated by this news.  She is such a social person, that I believe this friendship and acceptance are what is making school so enjoyable for her.  After the difficulties that she had in May when we first moved here, I truly think that is more important than anything else at this point.  She even seems to let it roll of her back when kids have teased her about things like "eating dirt" when she takes out her seaweed at snack time.  Hopefully she can maintain that confidence.  THEN we can deal with the talking in class.

The streets of Galway.  I'm only a little jealous.
Linden, however, has been slowly degenerating as the week goes on.  He started proclaiming mid-week that he no longer wanted to go to school. Instead, he wanted the bus to either drop him off at the day care he had been attending, or to stay at home and play.  When pressed for details, he revealed that school was "boring" (not even sure where he picked that adjective up), because there are "too many kids", and "too many toys".  Ummmmm.... what?  I was always, however, able to get him on the bus in the morning (despite his protestations), and when I asked his teacher about it, she assured me that he has been doing really well while at school.  

One page in a series of "books" Linden has been creating at school
This morning, however, he LOST it.  He threw himself on the ground when the bus got there and refused to get on (despite the fact that "taking the bus" was his favourite activity every single day last week).  Clark therefore had to drive him to school, and leave him at the playground while a teacher tore him away.  I'm sure this happens to like 75% of the kids in the first few weeks (especially the very young ones), but it is oh so very heartbreaking.  Fingers crossed that it all improves sooner rather than later.  Today was possibly extra bad because Clark has only JUST gotten home (and it is his birthday), so Linden had a lot at stake in arguing to stay home rather than go to school.

A friend I met on a walk the other day
Anyway, that is enough post for one day.  Especially today!  There are many birthday-related things to prepare.  I promised the kids, for instance, that there would be a cake waiting for them to decorate when they got home.  That means some baking, and mostly likely a trip to bulk barn as well, for some decorative candy.  Also, in an attempt to shake of some of the 5-hour jet lag, Clark is going to go to work a bit late, and take advantage of this beautiful morning to go on a walk with me.  So off I go! Birthday pictures will, no doubt, be posted next week.   A special shout-out to my sister Andrea, who is ALSO celebrating a birthday today.  September 21st is clearly a very auspicious day.  See you next week!

1 comment:

Linda Sprague said...

Such a full happy life,Tara. You write beautifully too!