Monday, October 5, 2015

You know it's been a good weekend...


Doing some nature drawings mid-hike
 ... when:

1. You can fill an entire blog post with pictures from only two days
2. You were barely inside
3. Everyone is ready-to-collapse exhausted by the end of it
4. You got to hang out with friends and run around and explore places you've never been.

These past two days were all that and a bag of chips.  They included just about everything one could hope for in the crisp, sunny, fresh, first weekend of October.  There was a new, delicious breakfast joint; a farmer's market where I treated myself to some alpaca wool; an impromptu apple-picking adventure at a farm that also boasted a huge array of fall-time activities; some good old-fashioned off-the-trail nature walks; some dear friends; and some pumpkin-finding.  I honestly don't feel as though I need to explain much more, but let me take you with us, shall I?

Linden asked if he could explore off the trail.  How could you say "no" in a setting so idyllic?
Gathering Empire apples at Mountain Orchards
We had two VERY enthusiastic pickers
Because I know Juniper will tell you if I don't: Yes, I got them to climb up that ladder for a photo op, and yes, it was the teeniest bit rickety.  No one was injured in the process.  And aren't they cute?

The apples were much more expensive than they should have been, but there were so many other attractions, like a tractor ride to and from the orchards...
... tether ball...
... a super fun playground...
... tractor tires piled high for climbing on and into...
... a really, really huge pile of dirt...
... TWO corn mazes...

...where you could snatch cobs if you so desired...
... and freshly made apple cider doughnuts to finish it all off!
The next day, we visited Ruth, Jane and Tom (Mike was out canvassing).
Juniper was in heaven.
Even Linden got in on the big brotherly action.  Check out Ruth's extreme... fear?  Amusement?  
And what is better than trying to control and boss around a dog that is easily 3-4 times your size?
Running with a gentle giant
Next we met Zack and Erin at the Byward Market...
... and chose some early small pumpkins to take home and decorate...
... then posed with the big ones!

Whew.  Good thing I brought the camera with me as we set out of the house each day - we packed in more than I had even anticipated, and it was all such a blur that the photos tell a much better story than I would have this time around.  I feel exhausted, rosy-cheeked (from a combination of sun, wind, and fresh air), and I have a belly full of supurb, fresh apples (honestly one of my very favourite things in the world).  I am anticipating that next weekend will be at least as full, it being (Canadian) Thanksgiving and all.  See you then!

1 comment:

Grady Fletcher said...

You made Tom look like an athlete!