Monday, November 30, 2015

I'm baaacckkkk (or, a week in retreat)

Highschool posse with the beautiful bride (l-r: Christie, Jane, Me, Meghan (the bride!), and Erin)
I can hardly believe my retreat week has officially come to a (reality-filled) close.  It wasn't, I suppose, what you would call a "retreat" in a typical sense... no relaxing massages or days spent blissed out meditating and doing yoga and journalling or reading satisfying novels by the beach.   BUT, it was an entire week on my own schedule.  I ate when (and what) I wanted; a SLEPT IN as late as I wanted, and I had an entire, (huge, lonely, and lets be honest - sometimes a little spooky) house to myself.  
On my arrival last week - I took this picture for the kids, but aren't my parents cute?
 I arrived on a Friday, and then had an action-packed Saturday.  It began with some pre-wedding yoga that Meghan generously treated a bunch of us to  (what better way to start your wedding day?).  Then a trip to the Fredericton Market with Jane and Mike.  Then a long nap.  Then, in the evening, a beautiful and extremely fun wedding.  It was soooooo lovely to be able to celebrate with Meghan and Barry and so many of my oldest, dearest friends.

Sunday, I laid low with my parents, as they puttered around with some last-minute packing and preparing for their trip to South Africa.  Then, on Monday morning, I waved them out the door, and sat down to get to work.

The scene that greeted me on Monday morning: my first snow of the year!  It seemed like fitting weather to hole myself away. It was slushy and icy (and therefore not good to be out and about), but beautiful to observe from the inside.
And work I did.  I basically did not leave the house from Monday until Friday.  OK, that is not entirely true - twice, I rallied just before it got dark to get in a bit of exercise, and fresh air.  That's right, folks - I WALKED!  My foot has not completely healed, but it was good enough that I left my cast behind in Ottawa, donned some ugly (but functional) hiking shoes, and even managed to slowly (and with a distinct hobble), take myself out for some walks.   Things are looking up for ole' fracture-foot.

Anyway, the upshot is that I have now written everything except my concluding chapter, which I hope to get to this week.  At that point, I will have one complete draft of my never-ending PhD thesis.  I imagine it will still be a relatively long road from that point on, but to have something so tangible out of the way will be a pretty satisfying Christmas present to myself.

Also, I felt that by Friday, I had worked hard enough that I deserved some down time.  That meant I got to pack all my favourite Fredericton things into one great day:  wandering around downtown, getting a manicure from my lovely aesthetician niece, Taylor, visiting with my sister-in-law Liz, and hanging with my sister Kelli, and niece Ali.  What a nice bookend to the week!

The Saint John river, as the sun is getting sleepy. I would have been very disappointed if I hadn't been able to at least get in one or two beautiful Fredericton strolls. 
And now - I'm back!  I arrived on Saturday, right around suppertime, and was immediately on duty that evening, as Clark took off for a show.  As it so happened, our friends Alana and Ian (from our Halifax days) were playing that night, as part of the tour for their new album, Dream Magic. (Here is a link to it on soundcloud).  It has been on constant repeat around here ever since it came out, and Clark was absolutely able to call dibs on being the one to get to go to the show that night - not only had he just solo parented for the week, but he use to play in Alana's band back in the days before Juniper.
Here is a little clip of Juniper, dancing to "Anthem" - it is not particularly good quality, but I shot it one night because it is just incredibly cute that she can't sit still when this song comes on - she MUST move.  Even if it is in the middle of supper, as it was that particular evening.


The next morning, we all got to hang out for brunch (and an album signing, of course).  Juniper also gifted Alana and Ian with a pretty awesome picture, showing them both rocking out behind their respective keyboards.  If only I had snapped a shot of that before she gave it to them!  Ah well, you'll just have to imagine.


Outside the yummy brunch diner in Hintonburg
Everyone checking out our newly signed album cover :)
OK - that is plenty for one week.  Off to go take care of all the things that need to be taken care - the list is particularly long today, as you might imagine!  See you next week!

No comments: