Monday, November 21, 2016

Quiet

Our first time to the Maritime Museum
I'm not sure why I entitled this post "quiet".  It is certainly quiet at this very moment, as it always is after the flurry of getting everyone packed and out the door. It is also something I have been longing for lately, perhaps as a temporary antidote to the ridiculousness of the last few months. I'm sure it is what my body needs (along with fluids and puffers and antibiotics), to finally rid itself of what turned out to be a good healthy dose of bronchitis.

Linden's go-to activity when he wants a little peace and quiet
And believe it or not, the kids (yes, even Linden!) will often seek out quiet time in the hustle and bustle of the everyday.  In between rolling around in the dirt (the only explanation for what they do when they are outside, based on the state of their clothes), climbing the walls (I literally caught Linden doing this yesterday - he made it half way to the top), and dancing like crazy people, I will sometimes find them silently absorbed in their own world.  For Juniper this almost always involves her nose in a book.  For Linden, it is drawing.  For instance, when I unceremoniously threw him into his room the other day for one transgression or another, he emerged about 20 minutes later, calm and quiet, having produced a book about his "feelings".  How cool is that?

Building a new, bigger home for Linden's pets (vermicompost from his aunt Theresa)
Even this past weekend, which included a visit from my parents, was relatively quiet.  Play-dough, board games, piano practice, popcorn and movies: a nice blend of exciting and chill.  It is a good balance to aim for. Perhaps we can all just take the next few months to hunker down, rejuvenate and breathe for a bit.  Quietly. Unlikely, I realize. But with a little solid intent - who knows?  

See you next week!

Making dinosaurs with Bob
Practising piano with Mary
Bob helps finish the worm house

No comments: