Monday, January 23, 2017

Political activism, human rights, and history... through the eyes of a 7-year-old


Juniper (and her new pussy hat), mid-rally
This weekend, history was made as millions of people all over the world gathered to rally and demonstrate in the name of peace,  love, and equality.  Naturally, there was a very well-attended Halifax contingent, and Juniper and I were both excited to be a part of it (Linden had  birthday party to attend that overlapped, so the boys joined us towards the end).  Of course, I brought my trusty camera along. When I went to take my first picture,  however, I discovered (to my great dismay) that it had a completely empty battery.  Luckily, Juniper had also wanted to document the event, and had insisted that she have her own camera.  What this ended up meaning is that we not only have a record of the day, but that it is one as seen through the lens of a 7-year old.  This is, in retrospect, much more interesting than anything I could have offered.  So without further ado, here is Juniper's take on the Women's rally:

Waiting for the ferry: I was madly trying to finish up our pussy hat
Leaving Dartmouth for Halifax
Some of our fellow demonstrators.  The ferry was actually late leaving the dock, to make sure everyone who wanted to get to the rally was able to make it on (the captain told us so.  We all cheered).
Look at that crowd! (which seemed even more massive, I would think, from down at Juniper's eye-level)
Some of the many signs
Our little crew: Bella, Toni, me and Kerry
Out for hot chocolate to warm up afterwards
 And there you have it!  All Juniper's documentation (except that first photo, of course). This is such a strange time in history - I was happy that, at the very least, Juniper was old enough to participate in some of the positivity and resistance.  (And that I got a chance to explain what a "Nasty Woman" was).

I will leave you, once again, with a little bit of Linden.  This time, it is his mad drawing skills (and commitment to all things trucks and construction):

Mid-drawing
Finished product

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Linden can draw waay better than I can ... those are super impressive. Love that you made it to the rally!! Thanks for representing Juniper and family! xo AuntT