Friday, January 17, 2014

Birthday Week!

Mama-Linden Beach Day!
What a week!  This past Wednesday, I turned the big 3-4. Now, I'm sure that 34 isn't usually the most momentous of occasions, but Juniper is now at the age where such events are VERY important.  There was a lot of preparation, some grand decorations, a lot of baking and cooking, and a number of different events.  Juniper even informed her preschool teachers that she wouldn't be able to make it in that day, as there were "special things going on all day".  That wasn't entirely accurate, but I was treated very well!

Stage 1: Breakfast in bed.  I was brought a delicious breakfast, a lovely card (where Juniper told me all the reasons she loved me), and I got to open my gifts from Juniper and Linden. Clark had taken them to the local thrift store, where they got to choose whatever they wanted to give me.  Apparently there was a *little* guidance… Juniper initially chose a "party shirt" that was a particularly garish shade of electric blue, and involved a lot of pirate-esque ruffles, and Linden chose a toy truck.  But they eventually settled on these, both of which I quite enjoy!

Cermaic tea/coffee canister, and a good sturdy wire basket.

Stage 2: Run/Beach hang-out. So, Wednesday was GORGEOUS.  It was warm and sunny and calm, and it even smelled like spring.  Though it took some doing (Linden was being less than cooperative), Linden and I managed to get ourselves out the door.  Clark had taken the car to drop Juniper off in the morning, so Linden and I went on a jog down to the beach. I thought we might stop there briefly, and then keep on going into the village, but the lure of the beach was too strong.  I got to do a bit of yoga while staring wistfully into the serene ocean, and Linden got to throw rocks to his heart's content. Blissful! 

This might be Linden's very favourite activity. Top 5, at least.
Stage 3: Thai food! So after the beach, Linden and I made our way up to WHOI, where we picked up Clark and the car, and then we went to the Child Centre to get Juniper, and then we booted it down to the neighbouring town of Mashpee to dine at the Thai restaurant. It was a very yummy treat.  Here is Juniper trying a lime (and Linden telling me about how he had just had a nice big poop in the restaurant bathroom).


Stage 4: Afternoon to myself!!!  Clark spent the afternoon working from home while the kids napped (and preparing some dinner/cake for the evening to come), so I got to do WHATEVER I wanted.  In the end, I decided to just start walking.  It was too nice a day to pass up.  So I walked into Falmouth, and then just kept going until I reached the local health food store.  It may seem like a funny destination, but there are very few opportunities to just browse a store like that on my own, and I felt empowered to treat myself to some very nice things, such as a yummy beeswax pillar candle and some new shampoo and conditioner. Then I walked back into Falmouth, and found myself very thirsty.  Somehow this led me to the boulangerie, where I managed to forego the delectable pastries, and opted for an over-priced but highly-satisfying sparkling pink lemonade. Then, just as it was time to call Clark and see if he could maybe wrangle the kids and come pick me up (I had walked for over 2 hours at that point, and it was dark), my neighbour Mak popped into the boulangerie, and offered me a ride home!  It was pretty perfect, all said and told.  But I have no pictures. So instead, here is a random one of Juniper doing a young-Tara-esque head-tilt.  See, mom?  It's genetic. (I got a lot of flack for my propensity towards tilting my head whenever the camera came out in my early years).

Head tilt!
Stage 5:  Dinner and Cake! Upon my arrival home, I was treated to a beautiful meal, and some lovingly prepared and decorated cakes.  Yes, cakes.  Juniper did a mini one just for me, and then there was a bigger one to share.  Chocolate cake with mint buttercream icing. YUM. I spent much of yesterday making sure no one else had to be responsible for finishing it up.

Juniper's individualized mini cake (she used a pan from her play kitchen to bake it…)
And the big cake!
Stage 6: Stage 6 was supposed to involve a movie and perhaps a glass of wine after the kids were in bed.  I, however, didn't even come close to being up to this. Basically as soon as the kids were both tucked in, I dragged my sorry, tired, 34-year-old body upstairs, and collapsed gratefully under the covers.  I'm getting old, folks!  But it was a very happy, nourished tired.  I had had a truly great day!

And on a side note….

So, speaking of my birthday (and Christmas), there have been some wonderful people who gifted me contributions to a pottery course that I have been dying to take.  I just went to my second class last night.  I LOVE it.  I am frustratingly not nearly as good at it as I used to be (10 years ago now - eep!), but perhaps I will be by the end of week 12.  Anyway, this course is on Thursday nights, so I believe I may just have to switch these weekly blog posts to Monday, rather than Friday.  I would often spend Thursday evening putting them together, but that just isn't currently possible.  So to all my devoted fans out there (all 10 of you, maybe?), move your blog-checking to Mondays.  I'll even endeavour to post something this coming Monday. Bonus!

The two pieces I didn't destroy this week.  I think they will both eventually be mugs.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Those are some great thrift store finds! Did they go to the thrift store on the main street in Falmouth? I eyed through the windows but it was closed when were walking by.

Tara said...

Hey Liz! The thrift store they went to is not on Main street, but it is on a very central street that runs through Falmouth, so I'm sure it is the one you saw. It's a funny little thrift shop, and can be very hit-or-miss, but they obviously hit it on a good day! How is your OSJL coat working out for you??

e.e. said...

I love that Juniper told her teacher that there are "special things going on all day". This makes me happy.

Also, that you are making pottery again :)

Anonymous said...

Always fun to catch up on your goings on. Thanks for keeping up your blogs.

Unknown said...

The coat is great! Very warm. Although I think every single button has now fallen off at some point.