Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Post-nonsense

Backyard, mid-blizzard
Whew.  I know - it is not Monday today, but honest to goodness, this is the first time I feel like I've caught my breath in over 2 weeks. (Did you know that between sickness, storm days, and strike, Juniper has been to school only twice in the last two weeks?  TWICE).  Besides, yesterday was a holiday (thus the kids were off school, AGAIN), AND my parents were visiting.  Seeing as the groceries stores didn't even open, I felt justified taking a wee respite myself.

And so - today's post is devoted to all the craziness that happened during and in between storms last week (which can be aptly summed up as shovelling and partying). Pretty typical February, really.

Valentines Day:  Though we were storm-stayed on Valentines day itself, that just gave the kids extra time to work on their class cards.  They both really got into it this year - Linden was so proud of his that he ran out and showed us after creating every single one:

One of his "most special" designs 
The entire collection
Juniper cut out her hearts from the same fabric I used to make her nightgown.  She was thrilled.
A storm-Valentines day means the time to make heart-shaped pancakes for breakfast!
Snow, snow, and more snow: Linden's whining about not having enough snow in Halifax finally got through to the weather gods.  This past week was blizzard-palooza.  We were hit very thoroughly on both Monday and Wednesday/Thursday.  It is, therefore, suddenly and thoroughly winter here.  And you know what?  I'm really not complaining. I like to have at least a good span of true, snowy wintery conditions this time of year.  Plus, Clark was home, we miraculously never lost power, and our awesome neighbour bailed us out twice with his snowblower. 

A very serious pose from "snow-clearing-man"
Juniper plays in our mandatory blizzard qhinzee
Snowshoeing to the park...
... and being goofy at the same time
Some backyard drifts were taller than me!
VERY red cheeks post-snow play

Ain't no party like a Lunenburg Party: This past weekend was both Zsofi's birthday AND my sister Faye's birthday.  Sadly, there was no chance of celebrating with Faye, as she is currently in Nigeria. Zsofi, on the other hand, rose to the occasion by hosting us for a two-party-sleepover-bonanza. 

Four families + a Thai-themed potluck = pure goodness
And let's not forget Will's masterful 3-layered chocolate/peanut butter cake

Park time the next morning...
... and the lengths Clark went to in order to elicit such genuine smiles!

Then, party #2 (with Will's extended family), and cake #2.  Luckily there were many willing kids to help blow out candles.

And finally, though I was not clever enough to take a shot before we left, luckily Zsofi thought to snap this the next day: here she is in her brand-new birthday cowl!  I did the knitting; Clark made the toggles.  It looks quite lovely on her, if i do say so myself.
No prettier model for a handmade knit!
Alright - the sun is shining, the house is empty and quiet, and I need to finally get myself out for a walk.  Deep breaths of fresh air and some head-space can do wonders for a person's soul.  See you next week!

No comments: